CMM Learning Exchange 2017: Reflection from AC4 Fellow, Laura Peters

Attending the Learning Exchange (LE) was a completely wonderful and somewhat unexpected experience. As a PhD student, I attend a variety of academic conferences and workshops and present my research and work frequently. However, the environment at the LE was wholly unique from other experiences I have had. It is rare to find a group of practitioners and researchers who are united by a common vision, both professionally and deeply personally. The sincerity, inclusivity, and enthusiasm of the group at the LE was striking, and the venue was intimate. As I sought to learn more about CMM, other presenters and attendees were eager to share their knowledge and experiences. As a presenter, the group gifted me with their undivided attention, thoughtful questions, and constructive comments. I exchanged contact information with several other attendees of the LE, including the two other AC4 fellows, and plan to stay in touch.

I have long been seeking such a community of both research and practice, which is invaluable to me as I pursue my personal and career interests in post-conflict peacebuilding and disaster recovery. The experience at the LE was invigorating, and the exposure to new and diverse perspectives has newly inspired me to continue in my work as a researcher and practitioner.

Thank you again to AC4 for making this experience possible for me!

Author: Laura E. R. Peters is a doctoral student at Oregon State University in Geography, with focus on post-conflict peacebuilding and post-disaster recovery. At the 2018 CMM LE, she presented on her research in Nepal, which incorporated CMM models as a way to understand disparate views of transformation.

For more information about the 2017 CMM Learning Exchange and the fellowship recipients there, read here.

Get our newsletter

I'd like to get more stories like this.
Email address
Secure and Spam free...

Submit Comment