International Peace & Security Institute Summer Symposia

The 2012 Bologna, Italy Symposium on Conflict Prevention, Resolution, & Reconciliation will be held from June 16 – July 14 at the Johns Hopkins SAIS Bologna Center. In addition to intensive training on international mediation, negotiation, and facilitation and transferable SAIS academic credit (M.A.), students at the Bologna Symposium will learn the nuts and bolts of strategic nonviolent action, trauma healing and reconciliation, peacebuilding through social entrepreneurship, gender and conflict, program planning and design, etc. from the field’s leading academics and practitioners. Learn more by visiting http://ipsinstitute.org/bologna2012/.

The inaugural 2012 The Hague Symposium on Post-Conflict Transitions & International Justice will be held from July 21 – August 18 at the Clingendael Institute of International Relations and in cooperation with Leiden University’s Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies, offering optional LLM credit. The course work includes modules on restorative and retributive justice, security and development as they relate to rule of law, as well as intensive case studies on the serious practical and moral dilemmas facing the field of transitional justice. Through formal lectures, site visits to International Tribunals and Courts, and interactive simulations and workshops, participants will gain a broad understanding of this emerging field, including concepts, controversies, and institutions, as well as critically examine the historical and contemporary uses of different justice interventions through direct interactions with the actual decision makers. Learn more by visiting http://ipsinstitute.org/the-hague-2012/.

Get our newsletter

I'd like to get more stories like this.
Email address
Secure and Spam free...

Comments

• Sarisa van Niekerk says:

Hi

I am a South African BA Law student who is very interested in participating in the International Peace & Security Institute Summer Symposia this year. Could you please give me more information? Would I be able to get sponsored?

Kind regards
    Sarisa van Niekerk

• cgozzi says:

Hi Sarisa,

Thank you for your post. I don’t have any more information but recommend looking at http://ipsinstitute.org/bologna2012/ for details.

• Scott Bellows says:

Hello! I am a mediator, writer and attorney who works extensively with U.S. governmental agencies and courts and would like to expand my work to help resolve overseas conflicts and build democratic/collaborative institutions.

Even after reading all the program materials, I’m torn between the two programs: Bologna clearly has my dispute resolution emphasis, while The Hague may make more use of my background in law as well as in mediation. Both are attractive! Can you offer suggestions for how I can make that decision?

(In addition, I’m wondering whether the programs are limited to the “young” — I’m a young 51 (both mentally and physically; as a mountain rescue volunteer and first responder I’m eager to work in more difficult environments that some my age might avoid!) — but 51 nevertheless. Should I still apply? If so, might my age impact which program would be a better fit?)

Thanks VERY much!

Submit Comment